Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Power Up Your Testimony

So I've been slacking on my blog posts, so I'm gonna get back into it with a simple one today.  I've really been thinking a lot about my testimony, the testimony of those around me, and how I can build both mine and theirs. 

What is a testimony?

A testimony is knowledge based on experiences one has had.  One can testify they witnessed something, either for a case in court, or even for vouching their friend really did eat 6 saltine crackers in under a minute (possible... by the way.. ha).  A testimony is something that grows over time and by degrees.  A testimony can even be built by the testimony of others. 

I'll liken our testimony to a flashlight that you winde up to generate the power to turn it on.  As you start from a dark light, it takes a while to winde it up until it is bright.  Once it's there, you have to continue to winde it in order to keep it bright.  If you stop winding, it will begin to dim.  You may not always be in dire need for the light, it may be daytime.  But night will come.  You may pass through a tunnel, or cloudy weather, or any number of places that the light needs to be used.  If the light is not there because you haven't been winding, it may be too late to prevent a mishap.  On the other hand, if that light is kept bright, it'll be there when you need it. 

I know this applies to us today, as we do the little things, reading our scriptures, saying our prayers, going to church, we "winde up" our testimony.  If we keep it bright, it will be there when we need it.  I know our testimony is one of the most valuable things we can have in this life.  I testify that my testimony has lighted the dark paths of my life.  I hope and pray we all keep winding our light.  If you feel yours getting dim, winde a little harder for a while, and it will catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment