Tuesday, July 17, 2012

True Happiness is Joy

    Again, I'm so close to the end of my mission, that I have been reflecting a lot.  I feel I haven't blogged enough in the last few months.  I'm not really sure what I have planned for this blog, but I want to just express some things that I've come to learn a little bit more about, and things that have led to how I feel right Now; the greatest feeling of True Joy I've ever experienced.

    I've thought a lot about what the word "happy" really means.  The scriptures often talk about the "Great Plan of Happiness."  (aka plan of redemption, or plan of salvation)  In the end, that is why we came to this world; to discover what this whole idea of "happy" means, and then to achieve it for eternity.  "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." (2 Nephi 2:25) This is God's entire reason for making the universe.  He wants us to have Joy, and an immortal body to experience it with.

     As 2 Nephi also teaches, there must be an opposition in all things (vs. 11).  How could we know the light without the dark, comfort without discomfort, etc.   I think it makes perfect sense then why a lot of the happiness that come in this life is actually from negative things we experience going away.  That's why the atonement of Jesus Christ is the true source of happiness.  Christ allows all guilt, pain, suffering, sorrow, and anything we ever go through, because of ourself, others, or just misfortune, to be swept away and forgotten.  That's the true beauty and miracle of the atonement.  That's why Christ is the source of true happiness.

     Well I've come to learn this concept more as I'm in the process of applying the atonement to my life through repentance, change, and service.  I've come to see why serving others is the source of that true joy.  When you help someone else experience happiness, or when you help them overcome some pain, you can't even start to think of the pain you have.  I'm so caught up in someone else's happiness in that moment, and I am just so full of Joy that they have been able to experience that change.  I feel that True Joy is helping others find happiness.  This is why the mission is the happiest and most full of joy I've ever felt.  I also think that this is why parenting will be so great, because I'll be able to see this happiness and joy come into lives of those I'm completely devoted to with complete love. 

      I know that as we serve others we can help their Happiness increase, and especially as they come to be rid of all pain through the atonement of Christ.  This is the True Joy.  Helping others find this is something we can do our whole life.  I want to help others feel this happiness any chance I get.  I want them to feel the change I've felt.  Then they in turn will want to spread the happiness they've felt, producing that Tru Joy in their life.  I know we can all help this joy spread, through spreading happiness and love, and the message of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment